Sunday, July 15, 2012

Mother's Day 2012 and the Stupid Black Cat

I never verbally expressed what I wanted for Mother's Day after I mentioned that the iPad was the number one gift this season, hint, hint. My husband and adult children are great at giving me things that I want and sometimes things that I didn't even know I wanted. This year I was shocked when opened my gifts, God delivered big time.

I work part-time at a scrapbook store and like most crafters I am behind in preserving my family memories. I am always green with envy when I wait on customers stocking up for scrapbook weekend. I could only imagine what it would be like to have 48 hours to scrap as much as I wanted.

I am also training for my second Chicago Marathon which means I am always suffering from minor aches and pains. Years ago I went in the Coldwater Creek Spa to buy a gift card, you can smell the aroma therapy as soon as the elevators open. I have dreamed of getting a pedicure or a massage there.

I was surprised when my son Julian and his wife gave me a scrapbook weekend, wow. I had just taped a B & B brochure for scrapbookers inside the cabinet in my craftroom with the thought of one day in the distant future. Then my daughter presented me with a gift certificate from Coldwater Creek Spa for a deep tissue 50 minute massage. I hit the jackpot, I had never told anyone.

My mom was visiting and needed a ride home with her gift. I have avoided driving her since she stopped riding on the expressway but I was felt so good about my haul that I eagerly took on the journey. It is normally a 35 minute trip on a Sunday night but on the side streets the travel time is doubled. She did the usual passenger seat driving despite the fact that I have a clean driving record, I didn't care. When we got there I carried her TV up 3 flights of stairs and plugged it into the cable box; I wanted her to be as happy as I was so I did my best to set her up until the cable guy could hook up the HD cables. I even tried to program the Comcast remote for the TV but that was beyond my pay grade. I was floating, this was one of the best Mother's Day ever.

I left her apartment and eagerly headed to the expressway. Just as I made it to the entrance ramp a black cat crossed in front of my van. I am not superstitious, all I could think about was how that stupid cat was going to get hurt or killed on the Dan Ryan. It was about 5 minutes later that a light on my dashboard lit up. I called my husband and described the symbol as a sailboat. Simultaneously we figured out my engine was over heating, yikes. I kept telling myself to stay calm. When I finally decided to get off the Stevenson I was at Pulaski Road. I was home, the first 15 years of my life were spent riding the Pulaski bus and the south end was the neighborhood I traveled through for 4 years to high school.

Well, high school was 29 years ago and everything was different. My husband stayed on the line as I drove forever (5 minutes) looking for a gas station. He told me to buy coolant, when I saw the price I knew it was cheaper at Walmart but I had no choice. The station was attended by a lone woman behind bullet proof glass, she couldn't open my hood. Bill tried to talk me through it but I could not get it, I felt like such a girl, I had never opened my hood. I approached a young man for assistance, he kindly and easily opened my hood. I was not sure where the radiator was, he showed me and pointed out the warning to use special coolant, my van is 12 years old, the manufacturers warranty expired before this kid could drive. I poured the entire bottle in and filled the empty container with water as a backup in the event it over heated before I got home.

I was back on the Stevenson within 20 minutes or so, still flying high but wondering out what the lesson was. I did learn how to pop open the hood and pour a little crushed red pepper in the radiator to impede the small leak which has since been repaired. I wonder what happened to that stupid black cat, hope he made it home safely.

No comments: